Federal trial begins for three defendants charged in 2025 Spokane immigration protest

SPOKANE, Wash. — Jury selection began Monday for three people facing federal charges in connection to immigration protests that shut down downtown Spokane streets for several hours in June 2025.

Jac Archer, Justice Forral, and Bajun Mavalwalla are charged with conspiracy to impede or injure officers. The protests began when former Spokane City Council President Ben Stuckart alerted the community that several asylum seekers had been detained and were being transported to an ICE facility in Tacoma.

The demonstration quickly grew into a large protest that shut down streets for several hours.

Nine people total, including Stuckart, were indicted on federal charges tied to the protest. Stuckart and five others later accepted plea agreements, leaving three defendants to face trial.

During jury selection Monday, the judge and attorneys asked potential jurors whether they knew any of the defendants or witnesses in the case. The jury questionnaire also asked what their favorite book or movie is and whether they had seen or read news coverage about the protests or the case.

Many potential jurors had heard about the protests, but only one told the judge they wouldn’t be able to be impartial in the case.

While jury selection continued in federal court, supporters gathered near city hall for a press conference to support the defendants.

“The implication of the jury’s ruling will set precedent that ripples across the nation,” said Hadley Morrow, a rally organizer. “We are calling all of you here to help raise awareness and to stand in solidarity.”

Spokane City Council member Paul Dillon also spoke at the rally, saying he has worked with Jac Archer and Justice Forral in the past and that both are very active in the Spokane community.

“Jac, Justice and Bajun all care deeply about this community,” Dillon said. “That’s why they showed up on that day in June, because they cared about what was happening.”

Rally organizers said they plan to attend the trial and hope others will join them. However, they will not demonstrate at the federal courthouse during the trial and are asking people to show their support silently if they plan on attending the trial.

The judge said the trial could last up to two weeks. Jury selection will continue Tuesday.


© 2026 KAYU FOX 28. All rights reserved. Content may not be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted without written permission.